Thursday, October 23, 2008

Follow the fellow who follows a dream



I spent our first two days in San Antonio at the American College of Dentists Convention. We had a series of lectures on ethics and some good meals and entertainment. I felt honored to be invited to join the College. Then I learned what it is all about, and I feel more than honored. I knew I was being recognized for my contributions to the profession and for my ethics, but not much more.

The mission of the ACD is to advance excellence, ethics, professionalism, and leadership in dentistry. They said that only about 3% of dentists are Fellows of the American College of Dentists (about 7500 currently). They said that the ACD is comprised of dentists who have exemplified excellence through their outstanding leadership and exceptional contributions to dentistry and society. It overwhelms me to think that an organization like that would want me. What I came to realize is that I am being recognized not just for my activity, but especially for my values, and that means a lot to me. I hope that this doesn't all sound boastful, because I am humbled by this recognition.

At the Convocation, we donned our robes and had fellowship conferred on us. There were 220 new fellows this year. I'm in lofty company. We committed to uphold the principles of the College, to strive for personal and professional improvement, to continue to contribute to organized dentistry and to the community, and to encourage ethical behavior and integrity.

I was nominated by two of my mentors in organized dentistry, Butch Ehrler and Ann Steiner. They are my cheering section in Tri-County, and serve as our Trustees to the CDA. I am thankful for their friendship. They have also advised me in some challenging decisions that I've had to make as President-Elect of Tri-County. I think you can tell which one is Butch and which is Ann.

Following the convocation, we had a formal dinner/dance.
I was glad that they placed the menu at our places so that we knew what we were eating. It was fancier than anything I've ever had before, but it was good. We did know what the filet mignon was. There were two bands that played: a mariachi band, and a rock band that did some swing stuff before getting to the music we know how to dance to. Heidi and I had a good time together. We were seated with a dentist from Redlands and one from Hollywood. We met the President of Michigan Dental Association, as well as dentists from Missouri and Utah.

Again, I am humbled and honored to be included in the American College of Dentists. Now I have more initials after my name: Robert D. Stevenson, DDS, FAGD, FACD.

1 comment:

Ron and Ginny said...

We should have been there with you. We are proud of your achievements.