Friday, October 24, 2008

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends

After the American College of Dentists meetings ended, Heidi and I attended the American Dental Association Scientific Sessions (Convention). We have been attending conventions for many years, beginning with Texas Dental Association in 1987, and also 20 years of California Dental Association Sessions, plus Academy of General Dentistry once. This was our first ADA Convention, and we enjoyed it.

On Friday morning, we walked to the Alamodome (not actually a dome, but the name sounds good), and heard Tom Brokaw speak. He gave an excellent talk, and we were impressed with what he had to say. Then we went back to the convention center for classes. Heidi took two classes on family and personal health and fitness, which she really enjoyed. I took a class on practice management and one on ethics in the dental practice. My classes were very good, too. After classes we went to a reception for the UT Dental School. I didn't see any classmates, but we did talk to some of the faculty. I was glad that they remembered me.

On Saturday, I took a class on implant prosthetics from Gordon Christenson. He and his wife run a research facility in Provo, and they speak very authoritatively on dental products and techniques. I always enjoy hearing him. He served as President of the Los Angeles Temple Visitors' Center with his wife about six years ago. In the afternoon, I met up with Heidi and we walked the convention floor (trade show) and enjoyed seeing what's new in dentistry.

It was a very busy week (as expected) but it was nice to get away with my sweetheart and spend some time together away from the pressures of work. I was disappointed that I didn't cross paths with any of my friends from dental school, but I did meet some new friends.

No comments: